Update: Australia and SoCal Futures


After a few more weeks of training my next trip was to Australia to play two $25K Futures. They were held in smaller towns a few hours North of Melbourne. These tournaments were unique as they were played on grass. There are only a few tournaments that are played on grass throughout the year with most of them being held in England in the weeks leading up to Wimbledon. This was a new surface for me as I had never competed on it before. Grass is a lot different as the ball stays very low and the courts play fast. I flew into Melbourne and then took a 4 hour train ride to the first tournament. It was held in Albury, Australia at an amazing club that had 26 grass courts. I arrived four days early so I could practice and get used to the grass. The courts were very soft as you couldn’t even bounce the ball before you serve. You had to almost throw the ball at that ground for it to bounce up normally. It was difficult to play from the baseline as most of the points were only a few shots.


My first match was in doubles when we faced off against the Australian team of Michael Look  (UCLA) and Matthew Romios. I played with Nick Chappell who is a lefty who played college tennis at TCU. In the 1st set I was serving at 1-2  and we had to save three break points to get a solid hold. It was not easy to get many looks on the return with our opponents making a high percentage of 1st serves. They got an easy hold to go up 4-3. We started to find a good rhythm in our service games and held to make it 4-all. Both teams held again to even it at 5-all. They held for 6-5. Then there was a No-Ad point on our serve but we saved it with a good 1st serve. We would play a tiebreak to decide the 1st set. Both teams held their first few service points. Our opponents went up a mini-break 4-2 after they hit a great return off a good 1st serve from us. We held our next service point to make it 3-4. I then hit a good return but they hit a tough half volley to go up 5-3. They followed that up with an unreturnable serve. We lost a tight first set 6-7(3). At 1-all in the 2nd set we came back from 15-40 down to get a big hold to go up 2-1. They continued to serve well and held for 2-all. At 3-all, they broke us on a weird point on the No-Ad point to go up 4-3. They held for 5-3. We got a hold to make it 4-5. My partner and I had our best look of the match as we went up 0-30 on their serve. Unfortunately they hit a few good 1st serves and closed out the match. We lost 6-7(3), 4-6 in a match that only had one break of serve. But they served very well and made 79% of their 1st serves which made it difficult for us to break.

In my 1st round of singles I played the #3 seed from India, Arjun Kadhe. He played college tennis at Oklahoma State and is ranked #380. He is an aggressive player who likes to rip his forehand and he is pretty good at everything. I started off the match serving and got a hold right away. He followed it up by holding with a few service winners. I was playing a lot of serve and volley on the grass and looking to go to the net as much as I could. Both of us got a few more holds which made it 3-all in the 1st set. He then hit a few good returns and hit a passing shot winner to break me to go up 4-3. He held for 5-3. I then held to force him to serve out the set. It was the first time I managed to get the game to Deuce but I was unable to break him as he took the 1st set 6-4. I wasn’t able to get enough quality hits on 1st serve returns. At 1-all in the 2nd set he played a good game to break me. He consolidated the break to go up 3-1. I held to cut his lead to 3-2. He continued to serve well and make a high percentage of 1st serves as he held for 4-2. I then got down 0-40 on my serve before bringing it back to Deuce. However, I still ended up getting broken as he took the game to go up 5-2. I finally had my first break points of the match in the last game. I had two break points but he saved both of them with good serves. He ended up holding and I lost the match 4-6, 2-6. I thought I played an ok match, I needed to serve a little better in a few games. It was tough to return well with the way that he was serving.


The 2nd tournament was held in Mildura, Australia. It was again held at a neat club with very well-maintained grass courts. These courts were a lot different than the first tournament. They bounced a lot higher and almost played like a really fast indoor hardcourt. You could play from the baseline more than you could in the 1st tournament. In the first round of singles, I played a Japanese player, Ryota Tanuma, who has a ranking of #518. He was an aggressive baseliner who hit the ball fairly flat and had a good forehand from the middle of the court. He returned well, although he didn’t have the biggest serve. At 1-all in the 1st set he broke me after I was up 40-love on my serve. He hit a forehand winner to break me. He then held for 3-1 in the 1st set. I then got broken for a 2nd time after I didn’t make a high percentage of 1st serves. He was hitting the ball well and stretched his lead to take a 5-1 lead. I got one hold to make the score 2-5. I had two break points in his next service game but he saved both of them and then closed out the first set 6-2. I knew I needed to play more aggressive because when he had time he was really good. So I started to play more offensively early in the point and commit fully to attacking the 2nd serve return. I got a good start to the 2nd set with a solid hold. I then broke him for the 1st time in the match by hitting flatter and more through the court especially on my backhand. I saved one break point in my next service game before holding for 3-0. He held to make it 3-1. I started to serve a little bit better and took a 4-1 lead. I broke him again in the next game after hitting a few big 2nd serve returns. I served out the 2nd set in the next game to take it 6-1. My opponent responded with a good return game to break me to start the 3rd set. But I bounced right back with a break of my own to even it at 1-all. Both of us held our next service games. At 2-all, I held for 3-2 after hitting some well-placed 1st serves. I continued to return well and broke him at 30-40 in the next game to take a 4-2 lead. I was down 0-40 and saved the first two break points. I then serve and volleyed with a good serve but hesitated on an easy volley that was probably going out. So I got broken to put the set back on serve. He held for 4-all in the next game. Both of us held our next service game to make it 5-all. I saved one break point on my serve before getting a big hold to go up 6-5. I was up 0-30 on his serve before he came up with a few clutch points to hold for 6-all. A deciding 3rd set tiebreak would decide the match. I went up an early mini-break 2-1 after hitting a good approach shot. I then split the two points on my serve after he hit a good return. At 3-2, he hit a backhand winner to even it at 3-all as we switched sides. I went up a mini-break 4-3. I hit a good first serve to take a 5-3 lead. Then he won a long point on my serve to make it 5-4. I forced an error on the next point after hitting a solid forehand down the line. I was up 6-4 with my opponent serving. He missed his 1st serve and then I ripped an inside-out backhand return winner to take the victory 2-6, 6-1, 7-6(4)! It was a good comeback after my opponent played very well in the 1st set.  


In the first round of doubles my partner and I played the Aussie team of Green/Hijatka. They both returned pretty well and had solid volleys. At 0-1, we saved two break points on our serve before holding for 1-all. Both teams were holding fairly comfortably and making a high percentage of 1st serves. At 3-all, on the No-Ad point I hit a good return and my partner made a move at the net to give us the first break of the match. We held our next service game to take a 5-3 lead. They then responded with a hold to make it 5-4. I was serving for the set and we lead 40-15 on my serve but they won the next two points which made it Deuce. On the No-Ad point I hit a good first serve up the T and my partner put the volley away. We took the first set 6-4. They held to open the 2nd set. We held at love after starting to get in a good rhythm on our serves. They held to take a 2-1 lead. We then faced 2 more break points on our serve but saved them with some clutch serves. Both teams held their next service game to make it 3-all. We had two break points on their serve and they saved the first one with a good serve. But my partner hit a great return down the line to give us the break. At 4-3, we got a solid hold to take a 5-3 lead. Our opponents held to make it 5-4. We then served out the match at 40-30 to take a well-played 6-4, 6-4 match. There were only two breaks in the match and my partner and I played the big points a little better than them.

In the 2nd round of singles, I again faced off against Arjun Kadhe, the #3 seed. This was the same player that I lost to last week. I knew what to expect after just playing him. I had one break point in his first service game but he saved it with a solid point. He held for 1-0. I then played a long 10 Deuce game on my serve where I saved multiple break points. Unfortunately I ended up getting broken after he hit a forehand winner. He followed the break up with a hold and I was down 0-3. He then played a really good return game and broke me again. He held for 5-0. He came out playing at a very high level so I just tried to weather the storm. I got one hold to get on the board to try and get some momentum for the 2nd set. At 5-1, he continued to serve well and closed out the first set 6-1. This set was a fresh start and I just wanted to take care of my service games. I got a good hold to start the 2nd set to go up 1-0. Both of us held our next few service games which made it 2-2. Then I faced two break points but I saved them with a good 1st serve and I finished a point at the net. I ended up holding for 3-2. He was still serving well and I wasn’t getting many looks on his serve. I held to go up 4-3. We both held our next service games fairly comfortably. At 5-all I again was forced to save two break points before holding. I then played the best return game of the match. I hit a backhand winner and a good return. At 15-40, he was serving and he hit a good approach shot but I hit a running forehand crosscourt passing shot to take the 2nd set 7-5. However, I got broken right away in the 3rd set after he played some smart tennis and returned well. He then held for 2-0. I got on the board for 1-2, but he held his service game to go up 3-1. I held for 2-3 with some good serving. I had one break point on his serve but he saved it with an ace. He then held for 4-2. There was another long game on my serve with him eventually breaking me again. He then served out the match in the next game to take the victory 6-1, 5-7, 6-2. I thought I played a pretty good match as I served well in the 2nd set. But I needed to serve at a higher percentage in the 3rd set and also return better as I only broke one time.

In the quarterfinals of doubles, we played the #1 seeded team of Klein/Puodziunas. They are a good team and have a lot of doubles skills as both have been ranked in the top 250 in doubles. They held to start the match. Then we got broken on the No-Ad point after one of them hit a great return off a good 1st serve. At 0-3, we held to make it 1-3. They were serving well to start the match and got another hold to go up 4-1. We were up 40-30 in the next game until they came back and broke us again on the No-Ad point. At 1-5, we had two break points on their serve but we were unable to convert. We lost the first set 6-1 and we were 0/3 on No-Ad points. We held to open the 2nd set to go up 1-0. The held to make it 1-all. We then saved two break points in the next game before getting a big hold to go up 2-1. Both teams held their next service game. At 3-2, we broke them at 15-40 after my partner hit a lob winner to give us our first break of the match. We consolidated the break to go up 5-2. We then were up 0-30 on their serve in the next game until they won the next four points to make it 5-3. I was serving up 30-15 in that game when we lost a weird point where they made an incredible get after we thought we won the point. We ended up getting broken on the No-Ad point so they got it back on serve after they hit a solid return. Both teams held their next service game to make it 6-5. We then had one more break point/set point but they saved it with an unreturnable serve. We went up an early mini break 2-1 after my partner hit a great volley where he crossed. We split the two points on our serve which gave us a 3-2 lead. They won both of their service points which put us down 3-4. I hit two good first serves here to give us a 5-4 lead. We got the mini-break after both teams hit a few volleys before we finally put it away. They hit a good 1st serve to make it 6-5. With us serving, they hit a good 2nd serve return and the returner’s partner crossed to even it at 6-all. We took a 7-6 lead after a good serve from my partner. Our opponents saved another set point with a good body serve. They hit another good serve to take a 8-7 lead. We then lost 1-6, 6-7(7) after our volley just missed wide. We had a lot of chances in the 2nd set but they game up with pressure points.

After returning home from Australia, I had a quick turnaround with the next tournament in Southern California starting two days later. This was a 15K Future that was held in Arcadia, California. In doubles I played with Alexander Cozbinov who played college tennis at UNLV. We played against the team of Bellier (SUI)/Botezan (ROU). Our opponents were a lefty/righty team with one of being better at the net and the other more comfortable from the baseline. At 2-all, we got broken on the No-Ad point after they hit a good return. At 3-4, we broke them back after we converted the break point at 30-40. Both teams held their next service game. At 5-all, we got a big hold after my partner hit a good 1st serve on the No-Ad point. At 6-5, we went up 0-30 on their serve after two good returns. They won the next two points to bring it to 30-all before we won the following two points to take the 1st set 7-5. In the second set, they broke us at 1-all after they played a good return game. They were serving well and making a high percentage of 1st serves while consolidating the break for 3-1. We didn’t get any chances until 3-4 when we had one break point. We weren’t able to convert as they held for 5-3. We held to make it 4-5, but they closed out the 2nd set with some strong serving to take it 6-4. The 10-point tiebreak was close to start out. Both teams held their service points to make it 2-all. We got the first mini break to go up 3-2. However, they hit a good return to make it 3-all. We went up 4-3 and then they held both of their service points to take a 5-4 lead. We hit two quality 1st serves to take a 6-5 lead. My partner and I won a tough point to go up a mini-break 7-5. They held their service point to make it 7-6. My partner won both of the points on his serve to put us up 9-6. They cut the lead to 9-7. Then we closed out the match on a big return to take it 7-5, 4-6, 10-7. It was our first time playing together and we pulled out a close match.

In singles I drew my doubles partner, Alexander Cozbinov, in the first round. He is a good player who has solid groundstrokes and a big serve. He does everything pretty well as he can return at a high level too. Both of us got a hold to start the match. At 1-2, he broke me to take a 3-1 lead in the 1st set. He consolidated the break to go up 4-1. I then held to make it 2-4. I followed up my hold with a good return game by playing aggressive and attacking the 2nd serve return. At 3-4, I didn’t make enough 1st serves and got broken to go down 3-5. He served out the 1st set after a long Deuce game on his serve to take it 6-3. Unfortunately I got broke right away in the 2nd set after my opponent continued to play good tennis. He held for 2-0. I then saved two break points before holding to make it 1-2. He consolidated the break and then broke me again to go up a double break 4-1. At this point I just tried to compete and hang in there. I played tough and got one break back to make it 2-4. I then got a big hold to make it 3-4. He held to take a 5-3 lead. I saved one match point before holding to make it 4-5. I saved two more match points in the next game before breaking him to even the set at 5-all. I was down 0-40 in my next service game before winning the next 4 points. However I couldn’t capitalize and I eventually got broken and lost my momentum. He closed out the match in the next game by holding to take the victory as I lost 3-6, 5-7. I thought I did well to come back in the 2nd set but it was a little too late. Credit to my opponent for playing a good match and earning the victory.

In the quarterfinals of doubles we faced off against the team of Freund (UC Santa Barbara)/Friberg. The Swedish duo was good doubles team who had good hands at net and also returned well. They broke us in the first game of the match to go up an early break. With us down 0-2, we lost a No-Ad game on my serve after they hit a solid return. We had two break points in the next game but were unable to convert. We got broken again on another No-Ad point. And to lose the first set we lost a 4th No-Ad point to go down 0-6. Our opponents came out playing at a high level and we lost all the big points. We got a hold to start the 2nd set and get on the board. At 2-1, we broke them to go up an early break in the 2nd. Unfortunately we got broken right back. They held to even it at 3-all. Both teams held their next service game. They played a solid game to break us to go up 5-4 and serve for the match. We came up with some clutch points to break them and even it at 5-all. Both teams held to send it to a 2nd set tiebreak. We got down an early mini-break 1-3. My partner and I held our service point to make it 2-3. Then our opponents won both of their service points. At 2-5 we hit two good 1st serves to bring it to 4-5. They went up 6-4 and had two match points. We saved the first with a good return and then saved the 2nd with a unreturnable 1st serve. At 6-all we changed ends. We then with 7-6. They evened it at 7-all. My partner hit a great return to put us up 8-7. Then we closed out the 2nd set breaker 9-7. We got off to a poor start in the 10-point tiebreak as we fell behind 1-4. We switched sides with them up 5-1. We won the next two points to bring it to 3-5. Then they won the next two which made it 3-7. We cut their lead to 5-7. They were serving well in the tiebreak and went up 9-5. We saved the next one with a good 1st serve. We then both points returning to make it 8-9 before we lost. I thought we competed well to comeback after a flat start. So we lost 0-6, 7-6(7), 8-10  in the quarterfinals in sort of a strange match.

My next tournament was a $25K Future held in Calabasas, California. This was as tough tournament with a lot of good players. I didn’t get into doubles as my partner and I were the 1st alternate. In singles I was in the Qualifying and played Govind Nanda who is playing college tennis at UCLA. He is a good player who can defend at a high level while also having an all-court game and can finish points at the net. I had two break point in his first service game of the match but I was unable to convert. Both of us held our first two service games of the match. At 2-all, I played a good return game to break him to go up a break 3-2. However, I couldn’t consolidate and got broken right back. We each held our next service game which made it 4-all. I had one break point in the next game but he saved it with a well-placed serve. At 4-5, I ended up getting broken after he played some solid tennis. I didn’t serve quite as well towards the end of the 1st set. I got off to a good start in the 2nd set where I went up an early break 2-0. However, he raised his level and broke me back to make it 2-all. Both of us held our next few service games which made it 4-all. He held in a long Deuce game on his serve where I had a few chances. At 4-5, I made three unforced errors to lose the match. This was disappointing as I was up a break in both sets but couldn’t sustain my momentum.

Upcoming Tournament Schedule:
April 16-21 - Yonex Cup - Torrance, California $6K Prize Money
April 23-28 - Ojai, California $30k Prize Money Open



"If you have the same priorities and goals you had last year, then you didn't learn very much in the past 12 months." -Benjamin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hong Kong Futures - First doubles points!

Tournament Update: BNP Indian Wells Pre-Qualifying

Tournament #10 Futures Sardegna, Italy