Tournament #8 in Portugal and Tournament #9 in Saint Julien en Genevois, France

I finished up the last of 3 Futures tournaments in Portugal this last week. I really enjoyed my time in Portugal as it is a great country and I got to take in some of the sights in Sintra on my last day. The cost of living is fairly cheap in Portugal, especially the food. The past few weeks I have stayed at a few different Airbnbs around Sintra, which was great as it is less expensive than a hotel and you also get to stay wiPortugueseugese family and experience their culture.


 

I played the first round of Qualifying last Saturday against a local Portuguese player who trains at the academy where the tournament was hosted. He was mainly just a baseliner who had a good forehand and liked to retrieve. I started the first set strong by mixing in serve and volley and coming to the net when it was there. I won the first set 6-2 with a few breaks of serve. The second set was more competitive as he tried to play more aggressive and it got to 3-3 before I got the break. I would follow that up with a hold and another break to win the match 6-2, 6-3.

In the 2nd round I played against an Israeli player who had a high national ranking from his country. He was an aggressive baseliner who had a good forehand from the middle of the court and he liked his backhand down the line. He also passed pretty well which meant I had to approach at the right time. I got up a break right away and got a quick 3-0 start but he responded by returning well and coming up with some good shots. Those were the only 2 breaks in the 1st set, as we both held our serves until the tiebreak. I got the lead early in the tiebreak to go up a mini-break at 3-2 and it remained closed until I had my first set point at 6-5. I couldn’t convert it and we changed ends at 6-6 before I had another opportunity to close it out at 7-6. I hit a good approach to his backhand and hit an angle volley that I thought I had done enough with but he ran it down and hit a great crosscourt flick passing shot on the dead run. Now it was his turn to have a few set points but I managed to save them and it was 9-9. I would finally win the next 2 points to take the tiebreak 11-9! It was a key tiebreak to get as I knew it would give me a lot of momentum. I won a few close games in the beginning of the 2nd set by holding then breaking him before holding again by saving a few break points. I quickly ran away with the 2nd set 6-0.



I made it to the final round of Qualifying for the 3rd consecutive week (which is a good level especially in the deep Portugal tournaments) but you don’t start earnings money or points until you get into the main draw. As the draw played out, I played against the same French guy that I lost to last week in the last round of qualifying. He is a good player, the #1 seed in qualifying and ranked around 760 in the world. This match was supposed to start on Monday morning but got delayed until Monday afternoon because of rain. I broke him in his 2nd service game to go up a break 2-1 but couldn’t consolidate the break. He would break me at 3-3 to go up a break after a long service game. I lost a close first set 6-3 where I had a lot of chances. I had a game point or break point in almost every game since going up 2-1. In the second set he started to play more freely and play some really good tennis. He would break me at 1-2 and at 1-4 in the 2nd set before serving out the match 6-1. This wasn’t my best serving day and I have to give credit to my opponent for playing really well especially in the 2nd set.

After losing in Portugal, I took a flight to Geneva, Switzerland for a money tournament in the town of Saint Genevois, France that started on Friday. This was a very nice tournament as they took great care of the players by providing housing and meals. It is a small town on the French side and about 20 minutes outside of Geneva. 

I played my first match against a 17 year old who was a good player with a French ranking of -2/6. I got up an early break in the 1st set to take a 3-0 lead and continued playing a solid first set to win 6-2. In the 2nd set my opponent played a lot better and we exchanged breaks in the early part of the set before I got another break to go up 5-3. I had 2 match points on his serve and didn’t convert them and then he played a good return game to break me back. After a few more games, a tiebreak ensued and I got in a hole in and found myself down 1-4. I battled back to get it to 4-5 but then he played a solid point to win the tiebreak 7-5. Thus I had to regroup at the beginning of the 3rd set. I started strongly and broke my opponent in the 1st game. There were a few close games but I played solid tennis to not let him back into the set and ran away with it 6-0. This was a good win as I played against a dangerous opponent and closed it out strongly in the 3rd set after not converting in the 2nd set.


In the next round I played against a former Duke graduate who had a -4/6 French ranking. Because of the rain, we had to play indoors which was a change as I had not played indoors since being in Europe. My opponent had a big serve with an attacking forehand and also liked to finish points at the net. In the 1st set he really took it to me by playing really aggressive and fast which was effective on the fast surface. I lost the first set quickly 6-1 but started to find my range in the 2nd set. I got broken in the 2nd game of the 2nd set but started to find my rhythm after that by serving better and playing more aggressive. I had chances in a few of his service games but couldn’t quite get the break back. I ended up losing a close 2nd set 6-4 but he made it tough on me by serving very well and playing aggressive tennis.


After a quick stay in Saint Genevois France, I earned 100 Euros and will now take the train down through France and travel to Piombino, Italy. I will be practicing on clay this week with a teammate from Davis before playing a few more Futures on clay with the first one starting on Saturday. A good opportunity to get better this week!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hong Kong Futures - First doubles points!

Tournament Update: BNP Indian Wells Pre-Qualifying

Tournament #10 Futures Sardegna, Italy